Sod is a quick way to transform landscaping and increase property value. Sod, also known as turf grass, is sections of already-grown grass. This grass is held together with a root system or other biodegradable material. Sod is a popular choice for new housing developments, commercial properties, golf courses and recreational fields because it provides an “instant” lawn.
The Benefits of Sod
- Speed: Sod is the right choice if you want to prevent erosion on exposed soil. Sod offers immediate cover, and it can help to direct storm run-off and improve drainage in places where grass seed would be washed right away. It only takes a few hours or days to install depending on property size and can provide benefits immediately.
- Flexibility: Sod can be planted year-round, as long as the ground beneath it is not frozen. Grass seed has a tight window in which it can be planted when the weather is not too cold or too hot.
- Reliability: Grass seed is relatively delicate, and it can dry out, blow away or get washed away easily. Since sod already has the root system established, it is much more reliable.
- Quick: Once you have your sod installed and water it for 2-3 weeks, you can do just about anything on top of it!
- Less Failure Risk: Most types of sod are surprisingly hardy, as long as you install and maintain them correctly. While you’ll need to turn on the sprinklers once a day, there is a much lower risk of failure.
The Downside of Sod
- Cost: Sod is more expensive than grass seed, especially if you need to cover a large yard.
- Installation: In order for sod to integrate into the yard, you need to prepare the soil properly. Sod should always be installed by a professional.
- Less Variety: There are many more types of grass seed on the market than sod.
Sod Installation from JFC Grounds Maintenance
Ready to get started on your lawn project now that weather is heating up and cookouts are calling? Give JFC Grounds Maintenance a call at (410) 655-2887.