Summer sun is warm and delightful, not to mention one of the signs that the season is in full swing. However, summer sun can also be dangerous if you don’t take the proper steps to protect your family and your landscaping. The intense heat can burn and harm unless you follow these simple steps for staying safe in the summer sun.
Protect Your Health
To protect your health and keep your family safe:
- When you are out in the sun, wear loose-fitting clothing and a wide-brimmed hat to protect your skin from the harsh rays.
- Wear sunglasses that offer UV protection.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Reapply your sunscreen every 2 hours and after getting out of the pool or sweating during physical activity.
- Stay out of the sun when the temperatures are hottest, between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM.
- Apply sunscreen and take precautionary measures regardless of how light or dark your skin tone is. Skin cancer affects everyone, and prevention is essential.
Protect Your Yard
The heat of the summer sun can also wreak havoc on your landscaping if you don’t take the time to properly guard it:
- Wrap tree trunks that are vulnerable to sun scald with white paper.
- Shade smaller plants and bushes by adding additional vegetation or temporarily covering them with straw for the hottest parts of the day.
- Use shade cloth to protect younger or weaker plants in your yard. This allows them to get the moisture they need from summer rains while shielding them from the worst of the sun’s rays.
- Check your garden regularly to make sure that your plants aren’t getting scorched or scalded by the sun. Make adjustments throughout the summer as heat levels change.
- Wait to place new plants in your yard until the worst of the summer sun has faded, or wait until the spring if possible.
- Lock moisture into the roots of your plants with a summer mulching touch up! JFC Grounds Maintenance has summer mulching specials for customers looking to give their plants a little extra TLC—call today.
Get Some Help!
Ready to get some help with your summer landscape maintenance? Give JFC Grounds Maintenance a call at (410) 655-2887.