Commercial properties are subject to many considerations as a result of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). This piece of legislation has worked to make the world more accessible for people with disabilities for decades. While most businesses are aware of some of the architectural and design requirements of the ADA, many don’t realize that there are also snow and ice removal requirements.
ADA Snow and Ice Removal Requirements
Your facilities must be easily accessible to everyone, regardless of any disabilities or physical challenges, after a snowstorm. In terms of the ADA, this means:
- All ice and snow need to be removed from parking spaces, walkways and surrounding areas
- Curb ramps must be free of snow and ice
- Snow cannot be piled into a handicapped parking space
- Sidewalks and walkways have to be free from ice and snow even if snow is still coming down but you are open for business (only brief and isolated periods of snow cover on sidewalks are allowed)
- Your exits and entrances, including emergency exits, must be free from snow and allow easy access
- You must complete “reasonable snow-removal efforts” in a timely fashion
One of the best ways to stay on top of snow and ice removal is by partnering with a professional snow removal company like JFC Grounds Maintenance. We use professional equipment to get rid of snow and ice and treat your walkways in a timely fashion. Working with a professional lets you have the peace of mind things are taken care of without needing to drive to your business and do it yourself.
Snow Removal and Winter Grounds Maintenance from JFC Grounds Maintenance
Ready to take better care of your lawn or commercial landscape? Are you interested in adding native plants to your property? Give JFC Grounds Maintenance a call at (410) 655-2887.