While summer might be the time that your lawn shines, spring is a great time to prepare it and make sure that it is lush and green. How can you start preparing for a beautiful lawn this summer now?
How to Guarantee a Green Lawn This Spring and Summer
- Rake the yard to get it ready for new growth. Spring raking is a great way to break up the layer of thatch sitting on the surface of the turf. Take your time with raking and do so deeply and thoroughly.
- If you did not have aeration performed in the fall, schedule it for the spring. Aeration will remove plugs of soil from the yard and help reverse the effects of compacted soil. A lawn that is properly aerated will have stronger grass, as the blades and roots receive more fertilizer, nutrients, water, and sunlight.
- Check the pH of your soil. Most types of grass prefer a neutral pH, so if your soil is radically outside of that range, you might need to consider adding soil amendments to help make it green and lush.
- Overseed the lawn. This is the most powerful when it is done alongside aeration. Overseeding helps fill in bare patches on the lawn and makes the entire turf seem greener and thicker. If you want to incorporate different types of grass into your lawn, this is also a great way to do so.
- Fertilize your lawn. There are many different ways to fertilize the lawn depending on your preference, including leaving behind lawn clippings to add nitrogen back into the soil or using a fertilizer recommended by your lawn care company, JFC Grounds Maintenance.
- If you don’t want to spend all summer pulling up weeds, spring is also the best time to apply pre-emergent herbicide. You can purchase this for a variety of types of weeds to help prevent them from thriving. It is a good idea to work with a lawn care company for this step, as many consumer products are not designed for optimal usage.
Spring Clean-Up and Lawn Care Services from JFC Grounds Maintenance
Ready to take better care of your lawn or commercial landscape? Are you interested in adding native plants to your property? Give JFC Grounds Maintenance a call at (410) 655-2887.