Fall is right around the corner, which means that now is the perfect time to pick up the phone and schedule your aeration and overseeding. This one-two punch of lawn maintenance ensures a lush and green lawn that comes back even thicker and healthier next year. What is the importance of aeration and overseeding?
Aeration and Overseeding 101
Before you understand the benefits, it’s important to understand what the aeration and overseeding processes are. Aeration is a process that requires a specialized machine. It takes plugs of compacted soil out of your lawn so that grass roots can more easily access water, air, sun, and nutrients. By breaking down the solid soil, your lawn can grow stronger and more resilient.
Overseeding involves placing grass seed on top of an existing lawn. It works well in tandem with aeration because you can place the new seeds into the small holes created by the soil plugs. This allows your lawn to get a lush foundation in time for next spring and summer.
The Benefits of Aeration and Overseeding
- Aeration makes your lawn less compact, which allows grass, flowers, shrubs, and other plants to grow more easily. Compacted and settled soil makes it hard for roots to penetrate deeper, which means that your plants will be less resilient.
- Aeration gives grass roots and seed from overseeding access to more water, air, sunlight, and fertilizer.
- Aeration makes the process of seed germination much easier, which is why it’s paired with overseeding so frequently.
- Overseeding adds new, fresh grass seed on top of the existing lawn to help thicken the grass that is already there and fill in areas of the turf that are patchy or bare.
- Overseeding can help make your lawn more resistant to disease and resilient to drought.
- Lawns that have aeration and overseeding performed are less likely to have trouble with weeds, as thick grass gives weeds less space to grow.
- Aeration and overseeding make your lawn look better and improve the curb appeal.
Fall Clean-Up and Lawn Care Services from JFC Grounds Maintenance
Ready to take better care of your lawn or commercial landscape? Give JFC Grounds Maintenance a call at (410) 655-2887.