As the weather starts to cool, two of the best ways that you can prepare your lawn for lush, beautiful growth in the spring are aeration and overseeding. Scheduling these services together is convenient and allows you to get the best results possible from both. Here is what you should know about the benefits of aeration and overseeding.
Every time you walk across the lawn or sit in a lawn chair, you are compacting the soil in your yard. When the soil is compressed, it is much more challenging for nutrients, water, and sunlight to penetrate the soil and promote growth. The aeration process involves using a special machine to remove plugs of compacted dirt from your lawn. This process does not damage your lawn. Instead, it helps to improve it!
Overseeding is a way to turn patchy lawns into even, green ones or help grow grass where there is not currently very much. The process involves scattering grass seed over the whole yard or the affected area. It works best when done in combination with aeration, as the seeds will be sown into the holes and develop into new grass.
The Benefits of Overseeding and Aeration
- Aeration makes it easier for grass seeds to germinate, as they will receive enough air, water, and fertilizer.
- Aeration will loosen up the rest of your soil, which helps existing grass to grow easier.
- Overseeding makes your lawn more resilient, so it will naturally be able to resist lawn disease or drought more than other grass.
- The combination of aeration and overseeding can prevent weed growth in the next year, as thick grass makes it harder for weeds to grow and thrive.
- Aeration reduces thatch, or the layer of roots and grass stems that can accumulate.
Should You Have Overseeding and Aeration Done?
Absolutely! Fall is the best time of year to have the process completed, as it’s warm enough that the seeds will be able to start growing and lay the groundwork for a great lawn in the next year. Once you have the procedure performed, we will give you tips on how to maintain the lawn after we’re done.
Fall Clean-Up and Lawn Care Services from JFC Grounds Maintenance
Ready to take better care of your lawn or commercial landscape? Give JFC Grounds Maintenance a call at (410) 655-2887.